Support to develop external engagement
External engagement is one of Lund University's main tasks and an important area for the Faculty of Social Sciences. On these pages you will find inspiration and guidance to develop the external engagement at your department.
Why should we be involved in external engagement?
External engagement is seen as a means to achieve two main goals.
The first goal concerns contributing to the development of society in a broad sense.
The second goal concerns a knowledge and resource flow into the higher education institution. External engagement can, in other words, be a means for achieving improved quality in research and education. Through external engagement with actors and organisations in wider society, we can reach contacts and knowledge that contribute to enhancing our research and education in terms of relevance, originality and topicality. Collaboration with external actors can also generate financial resources that make it possible to realise certain ideas and activities.
External engagement may therefore have several goals and it can be a good idea to formulate concrete goals for your organisation.
Guide to develop external engagement
In 2020 a mapping of the faculty's external engagement activities was conducted. The mapping resulted in, among other things, a pamphlet/guide for faculty teachers and researchers who wish to develop a more structured approach to external engagement.
The aim of the pamphlet is to stimulate joint discussions about how we regard and develop our external engagement.
You can order printed examples of the pamphlet by sending an e-mail to webeditor [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se.
The faculty's external engagement board
The aim of the faculty's external engagement board is to stimulate and develop collaboration between our departments and wider society. The board works a platform to share experiences and to coordinate common external engagement activities within the faculty. It has also a coordination role in relation to central support services in external engagement-related matters.
Support services within Lund University
- Support and help in the coordination of complex, cross- faculty projects and strategic collaboration platforms that include external parties.
- Support regarding project funding and new funding models
- Support in matters concerning research communication, evaluation of external engagement and the impact of research on society
- Offers a range of commissioned education services, from project ideas to financial follow up and evaluation.
- Support to students and researchers who have ideas and research findings that can be developed into a product, service or method that helps to address challenges and problems in society.
- Disseminate research via the media and public events
- Provide advice and support regarding how to get your research across, via press releases, newsletters, film, social media etc
- Assists by providing agreement templates that can regulate different forms of external engagement and, if required, provide a legal review of agreements.
Vice dean, responsible for collaboration and innovation
Faculty of Social Sciences
+46 42 356508
charlotte [dot] simonsson [at] isk [dot] lu [dot] se (charlotte[dot]simonsson[at]isk[dot]lu[dot]se)
+46 46 222 84 49
elin [dot] hermansson [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se (elin[dot]hermansson[at]sam[dot]lu[dot]se)