The faculty in brief
The Faculty of Social Sciences at Lund University is one of Sweden’s leading units for research and education within the social and behavioural sciences. With activities in both Lund and Helsingborg, a staff of over 600 and around 5 700 full-time equivalent students, the faculty is one of the largest at the University.
To understand, explain and improve our world
Most of the challenges of our time are the result of human activity and must be solved through societal processes. International conflicts and crises, social conditions, environmental problems and health issues require knowledge about what determines individual and collective decisions and how societal systems can be changed. The Faculty of Social Sciences at Lund University conducts research and education that contributes to this knowledge.
Departments and units
The faculty's daily activities are concentrated at its 13 institutions and specialised centres in Lund and Helsingborg.
- 5 727 full-time students (2020)
- 14 undergraduate programmes
- 22 master's programmes
- 4 professional qualification programmes
- About 300 free-standing courses
- PhD studies in 12 subjects
- 123 doctoral students (full-time equivalents 2020)
- About 25 thesis defences each year
- Total number of faculty staff (2020): 636 full-time equivalents:
- 50 professors
- 445 teachers/researchers
- 141 technical and administrative staff
- Education SEK 422 million (2020)
- Resarch SEK 358 million (2020)