A new Paradis area
On this page, you will find general information on the project and current information on where the project is at in the process.
The project in brief
Through the Paradis area building project, the Faculty of Social Sciences wants to create fit-for-purpose premises for the departments in Lund, to build a centre for social sciences in the area as well as to make the faculty visible in Lund’s urban environment. In the long term, it involves enhancing both the faculty’s own area and the Science Trail in Lund.
The building project is carried out in three stages, of which two have already been completed. The remaining third stage consists of:
- building a centre for social sciences including a library
- renovating building M (Gamla Polikliniken) and building O (Gamla Barnbördshuset)
- where necessary, renovating building R (Gamla Kirurgen) and building J (Gamla Barnsjukhuset)
Prior to stage three, the faculty’s needs for future premises have been mapped and ideas from the faculty’s staff and students have been obtained in different ways, for example in different workshops.
The current stage of the process is that the architect has drawn up the designs for stage three in consultation with the faculty, Akademiska Hus and LU Estates. The proposal is circulating for comment at the faculty in February.
During February, students and employees are welcome to visit an exhibition and leave comments about the proposal at the Social Sciences Faculty Library in Lund (building J). Students can also read the proposal at Samhällsvetarkåren, Sandgatan 9 in Lund (building Tapetserarverkstan).
Next step – a new centre for social sciences
The new centre for social sciences is intended to function as an arena and meeting place for administrators, students and teaching staff. The aim is to create a study centre for the whole faculty with a library, café, lecture theatres, and study areas. It will also house a space for social science debates and presentations as well as exhibition areas.
The plan is for the new building to be joined to the existing buildings M and O.
Faculty coordinator at the Faculty Office
+46 46 222 49 88
jenny [dot] egidius [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se
Head of the Sociology of Law Department
+46 46 222 73 33
lokalprojektet [at] sam [dot] lu [dot] se
The project consists of three stages:
- Renovation and extension of Eden, including the relocation of the Department of Political Science’s library to the Faculty of Social Sciences’ library (completed by the end of 2013)
- Renovation and extension of building I (Gamla Köket), allowing for the School of Social Work to be located in the same building. (completed in 2019)
- Construction of a centre for social sciences and the renovation of building M, building O and, if needed, building R and building J.